Tuesday 27 November 2012

Chefette's Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Pie is something I have always been curious about as a keen foodie, you can't watch an American TV show centered around Christmas or Thanksgiving that doesn't feature the humble pie. It is such a strange concept for me, putting pumpkin in a pie, and given that it has just been Thanksgiving in the US and having many American friends, I had to try making my own. Pumpkin was initially used in American pies as a filler, but gradually over time, people loved the taste so much that it became the "star" of the dish. Now to be completely frank, this was the first time I have made Pumpkin Pie and eaten it, so I have no idea whether it tastes the way it should, but upon serving I had clean plates, which is always a good sign, so it could not have been all that bad. Also it is so easy peasy and such a lovely taste of winter! Special shout-out to my Missourian friend Amber for her invaluable Pumpkin Pie advice ;-) So here's my take on Traditional American Pumpkin Pie.

(Note I used a shortcrust pasty to line my pie dish, but after tasting, next time I make this, I think I'd use a biscuit base, similar to what you would use in a cheesecake) 


Biscuit Base

500g Sweet Biscuits (Marie, Rich Tea, Digestives etc)
250g Butter



1. Crush biscuits in food processor until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add butter to food processor and blend until combined.
3. Press biscuit mixture into a lined spring-form cake tin or pie dish.

Pumpkin Pie Filling

1kg Pumpkin (any kind) I also used a sweet potato as part of my 1kg for something different.
1 397g tin of sweetened condensed milk
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
50g butter

1. Boil pumpkin with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar until soft.
2. Blend pumpkin in food processor until smooth.
3. Add all ingredients (eggs last)
4. Pour into prepared pie base.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 160°C until the center become firm.
(I baked mine for about an hour and ten minutes, but it was quite deep and large, so timing will vary from pie to pie. If it is starting to brown, cover with foil to finish the baking)

Best served with whipped cream and nuts! Happy Baking! xxx















1 comment:

  1. This looks beautiful Denelle! Can't wait to try it ur a Masterchef! Lots of love xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...