Wednesday 1 August 2012

Rainbow Velvet Cake

The rainbow cake seems to be the "it" cake of the moment, it's all over the internet and you can't go on Pinterest without being bombarded by pictures of this delectable and colourful creation. I brushed it aside thinking it would be more stress than what it is worth until my cousin from Back in G-Town  made one for her Little Miss' 4th birthday! She inspired me to attempt one for my baby cousin's second birthday, and I'm glad I did. It is certainly not as hard as it looks, and this my friends, is a cake that vanishes, because everyone wants to try a piece because it looks so fun!

So I used an old faithful recipe of mine found here, for classic Red Velvet and I quadrupled it to ensure I had enough cake batter.

I made a lush chocolate frosting to go with it as I decorated with Kit Kats, and I wanted a blended look, but the standard tends to be a white frosting.



Dark Chocolate and Vanilla Bean Frosting
Ingredients
750 grams unsalted butter 
6 cups sifted icing sugar
4 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla bean paste
375 grams dark chocolate
Method

1. In an electric mixer using the paddle attachment whip butter for 7 minutes on medium speed until pale and fluffy.
2. Turn mixer down to low speed and add icing sugar, vanilla and milk until combined.
3. Mix on medium setting for a further 6 minutes and add melted chocolate slowly.
4. Butter-cream should be very fluffy and pale.

Now back to the cake, I did five coloured layers so I divided the batter equally into five bowls before adding any food colouring. Once in the five bowls I coloured them all nice and brightly.


A word of advice... bake this cake to a size in which you have two tins, trust me it's a much quicker process.

Bake each colour one by one and allow to cool, they will look like coloured pancakes at this point.

Start by placing your first cake layer down and spreading with the frosting and repeat the process until you have something that looks like this.

With any cake I do, I always do a crumb layer of frosting i.e. a very thin layer of frosting over the whole cake which catches all of the cake crumbs before I put I nice clean layer of frosting on top. After I have done the crumb layer I put the cake in the fridge to slightly harden before I do the "good" layer.


After I had done the good layer of frosting I broke up four family Kit Kat blocks to stick around the border. Then I covered the top with loads of M and M's and tied it all up with a decorative ribbon.


It is definitely one to try out, even if you're not comfortable, start small, do three layers, use a packet mix, it's all about experimentation!

Happy Baking All xxx

6 comments:

  1. Hi, may I know how you managed to get bright colours despite having cocoa powder in the batter? I tried but the cocoa seem to make colours darker and duller..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can you use in place of vanilla bean paste? I have'nt seen this in my country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Het was fantastisch. Ik denk dat je je verkeer kunt vergroten op basis van je inhoud.

    Als u uw websiteverkeer, SEO en website laten maken, of app laten maken wilt vergroten, of grafische ontwerp diensten nodig heeft, kunt u contact opnemen met het Nexoz team.

    Nexoz services:

    Website maken
    Application
    SEO

    ReplyDelete
  4. فکر میکنم زیباترین مطبی بود که خوندم.

    هدف ما در تیم دو سوت تعمیر همیشه حفظ رضایتمندی مشتری و تعمیر تمامی لوازم خانگی در حضور مشتریان، بدون جابجایی لوازم خانگی بوده و با عنایت حق، با افتخار دارا بودن ۱۰۰% رضایتمندی مشتریان تا به اینجا به این مهم دست یافتیم.

    کافیست فقط یک بار با کارشناسان شرکت دو سوت تعمیر تماس بگیرید تا از تفاوت در نوع خدمت رسانی و سرویس دهی آنی سرویس مطلع و برای همیشه یکی از مشتریان راضی ما شوید.

    اگر لوازم خانگی شما نیاز به تعمیرات دارد، همین حالا فرم مشاوره رایگان تعمیرات لوازم خانگی را پر کنید، کارشناسان ما در کوتاهترین زمان ممکن با شما تماس خواهند گرفت.

    ReplyDelete
  5. سفارش طراحی آرم و لوگو در ریوال آنلاین

    ریوال آنلاین مجموعه کاملی از همه چیزهایی را که یک برند برای برجسته شدن و مورد توجه قرار گرفتن نیاز دارید، ارائه می دهند.

    طراحی لوگو و آرم در تیم خلاق ما کاملا حرفه ای و متمایز انجام می شود.

    ما بر این باوریم که ایجاد نماد بصری یک برند مستلزم یک دید استراتژیک و علمی است.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...